Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,192 pages of information and 233,429 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ironmasters, ironstone and limestone owners, of Cargo Fleet Ironworks, Middlesborough
1866 Swan, Coates and Co established to build the ironworks at Cargo Fleet
1879 Company converted into Cargo Fleet Iron Co
1883 Company registered as a limited company with John George Swan as managing director
1900 Weardale Steel, Coal and Coke Co acquired the whole of the share capital of the company and invested to bring the plant up to date, making it the most modern steel works in Britain.
c.1900 Major expansion - contract won by Furness, Westgarth and Co for the whole plant, including buildings, rolling mills, engines and boilers, gas cleaning apparatus etc. The chief feature of these works was the introduction on a large scale of engines for blowing the blast-furnaces and driving dynamos by the use of the surplus gases from the blast furnaces and coke ovens; gas cylinders of 51 1/4in. diameter were used. This was led by Tom Westgarth under the patents of the Belgian firm of John Cockerill and Co., and led to great developments in the use of waste gases in Great Britain. The gas blowing plant was in operation by early 1905.
1905 Issue of debentures; at the time also owned the Liverton ironstone mine and the Mickleton limestone quarries; also owned a majority of the ordinary shares in the South Durham Steel and Iron Co. A cogging mill was being erected; both it and the section mill were expected to be operating in 1906
1911 Opened a London Office at 35, Lime-street, E. C.
1914 Steel manufacturers. Specialities: rolled steel rails, angles etc. and sulphate of ammonia. Employees 2,000 to 3,000. 
1924 Registered in January 29, 1883, owns works comprising three blast furnaces, coke ovens, bye-products recovery plant, finishing mills, steel works and freehold land, total area about 198 acres, situate near South Bank Station, Middlesbrough, on the south aide of the River Tees. A large interest in the share capital of the Wingate Coal Co, has been acquired. 
1937 Steel manufacturers. "Atlantes" High Tensile Steel. "Carfleco-Noncorr" Copper Bearing Steel. "Erinus" Free Cutting Steel. 
1953 As a result of reorganisation of the parent company, South Durham Steel and Iron Co, Cargo Fleet Iron Co ceased to exist although the Cargo Fleet name was retained as the company had a world-wide reputation for rolled steel products.