Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Carl Lueg (1833-1905)
1905 Obituary 
CARL LUEG, President of the Society of German Ironmasters, died on May 5, 1905. He was born at Sterkrade on December 2, 1833, and educated at Wesel, Duisburg, Hagen, and at the Karlsruhe Technical School. On October 1, 1855, he entered the service of the firm of Jacobi, Haniel & Huyssen as engineer, and in 1858 was entrusted with the direction of the Oberhausen ironworks belonging to that firm. When, in 1872, the firm was converted into a jointstock company, Carl Lueg was appointed chairman of the board of directors, an office which he continued to hold until the end of 1903. Thus, for nearly fifty years his energies and knowledge were devoted to the service of the Oberhausen works. Notwithstanding the demands made upon him by this huge undertaking, he found time for public life. For forty-three years he was a member of the corporation of the town of Oberhausen, and in 1899 received the highest honour that a town can confer, its honorary freedom.
In 1877 he led the movement to form a society of German ironmasters. It was a reorganisation of the Technical Society for the Metallurgy of Iron, which has existed since 1860; and of the new society he was elected President, and was re-elected to that office twenty-five times. On the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the foundation of the society, the Carl Lueg Medal was instituted, the first recipient being Carl Lueg himself. Honours of all kinds came to him in due course. In 1897 he received the title of Geheimer Kommerzienrat, and in 1902 he had conferred upon him the Star of the Order of the Crown. In 1903 the Aachen School conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Engineering, and towards the end of the same year the German Emperor appointed him a member of the Prussian Upper House. A memorial service attended by several hundred members of the Society of German Ironmasters was held at Dusseldorf on May 14, and the oration delivered by Dr. E. Schrodter on that occasion is reported in Stahl and Eisen.
Dr. Lueg was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1876.