Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1883 The Gatti brothers, who owned the Royal Adelphi theatre and the Adelaide restaurant in The Strand, supplied their premises from a small local generating unit
1893 Incorporated as a public company
1896 The Gatti's generating unit was moved to larger premises at Lambeth.
1900 In order to acquire larger premises, land further out (at Stratford) was acquired. The Gatti's company, Charing Cross and Strand Electricity Supply Company, acquired Parliamentary powers to produce and supply electricity from the generating station which was called Bow. It operated on the AC system; six substations were established including those at Fenchurch St. in the City and St. Martins Lane in the West End.
1902 Opened a 11,000 volt, three phase power station at Bow
1903 A separately-operated undertaking was established to serve the City of London
The company had a power station at Lambeth
1905 the company became the Charing Cross, West End and City Electricity Supply Co, a public company