Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Frederick Trippe (1875-1950)
Charles Frederick Trippe, who died on the 6th March, 1950, was born in Newfoundland on the 10th December, 1875. He received his early education at Field College, St. John's, New- foundland; his engineering education at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College; and his practical training with the Thomson-Houston Co. at Lynn, Mass., and with Kelvin and White, Glasgow. From 1894 to 1896 he was in the test room of the Anglo-American Telegraph Co.'s cable ship Minia. With brief intervals at the Boer War and, later, with the Benjamin Electric Co., he spent the next 19 years with the General Electric Co., London, and was appointed Manager of the Illumination Engineering Department. From 1915 to 1918 he served with the Royal Engineers in France, at Divisional Signals and at G.H.Q., with the rank of Captain. He then returned to the General Electric Co. as Technical Manager of the M.O. Valve Co. In 1925 he started a valve factory for Burndept Wireless Ltd., but, this venture proving unsuccessful, he joined the staff of the British Thomson-Houston Co. as Manager of the Radio and Sound Reproducer Department, remaining in that position until his retirement in 1946. During his service with the B.T.H. Co. he was closely associated with many new developments, including the R.K. loudspeaker, the Panatrope electric gramophone, talking films, and sound-recording and cinematograph equipment for cinemas and the home.
He was one of the founder members of the British Wireless Dinner Club, which was established in 1922 to maintain friendships formed during the First World War, and was its Hon. Secretary for 20 years. His amicable nature made him many friends, and he will be remembered for his charming personality.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1902 and was elected a Member in 1926.