Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Gandon (1837-1902)
1903 Obituary 
CHARLES GANDON, born on the 13th June, 1837, began his engineering career as a pupil of Mr. Henry Palfrey Stephenson, under whom he was subsequently engaged on railway works and on the construction of gasworks in Germany.
From 1861 to 1863 he was an Assistant Engineer on the Great Northern Railway, and in the latter year he was appointed Engineer and Manager at Smyrna to the Ottoman Gas Company, There he not only superintended the erection of the gasworks, but conferred lasting benefit on the town by tapping an excellent supply of water.
His good work in Smyrna, earned for him the confidence of the Company, and when he finally settled in England he was elected a member of the Board of Directors.
In 1869, Mr. Gandon left Smyrna to take up the post of Engineer and Manager of the Bombay Gasworks, where he remained until 1872, when he was appointed to the charge of the Para Gasworks, Brazil.
In 1876 Mr. Gandon returned to England as Engineer to the Crystal Palace District Gas Company, which post he held for twenty-one years, and during that period the works of the Company increased greatly in importance.
After his retirement in 1897 he undertook no professional work, although he remained on the Boards of the Ottoman and the Bombay Gas Companies and the Woking Water and Gas Company.
He died at his residence, The Woodlands, Tressillian Crescent, Brockley, on the 8th October, 1902.
Mr. Gandon was a Member of the Society of Engineers and of the Gas Institute, on which bodies he served the office of President in 1885 and 1888 respectively.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 3rd December, 1867, was subsequently placed among the Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 31st May, 1881.