Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Oliver (1873-1940), Managing Director and Chairman of Oliver Pell Control
1941 Obituary 
CHARLES OLIVER was born on the 16th April, 1873, and received his general education at Brighton College, Roscoe's School, Harrogate, and University College, London.
He then studied electrical engineering at the Crystal Palace School of Engineering, Finsbury Technical College and the Goldsmiths' Institute.
On the completion of his pupilage, which he served with Messrs. Johnson and Phillips at Old Charlton, he started in 1898 in business on his own account as an arc lamp manufacturer at Wilson Street, Finsbury, supplying lamps mainly to railway companies.
In 1900 he transferred the business to larger premises at Woolwich and was joined by the late Mr. W. M. D. Pell.
In 1906 he patented the magazine arc lamp using impregnated carbons. This largely replaced co-axial arc lamps and revolutionized street lighting. Although arc lamps for street lighting were later largely superseded by metal-filament lamps, arc lamps installed by him as long ago as 1912 for the lighting of London streets were still in use up to the time of the "blackout."
From 1914 until his death, which occurred on the 3rd December, 1940, he was Managing Director and Chairman of Oliver Pell Control, Ltd. In recent years the development of the Varley dry accumulator occupied much of his time.
He joined The Institution as an Associate in 1898 and was transferred to full membership in 1939.