Charles Rennoldson and Co
c.1875 He then became a partner in J. P. Rennoldson and Sons for 38 years where he designed high-class tugs, salvage steamers, yachts and coasters.
1913 Charles Rennoldson opened his own yard, the Lawe Shipyard at South Shields. It began its life with four orders on the books. These were two coasters for Liverpool owners, a small passenger vessel for P&O and another small cargo ship.
A further couple of orders were then made; a twin screw tug and salvage steamer; a minesweeper and two small ice-breakers for Russia.
WW1 - Rennoldson and Co manufactured a minesweeper - HMS Valerian, two standard coasters. In addition two colliers were also built during this period.
1914 Directory: Listed as of The Lawe, South Shields as Ship Builders
1924 Charles Rennoldson died
1929 The yard closed.
Sources of information
- The Times, 1 August 1931
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss
- Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914 p771