Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles William Adams (1875-1903)
1903 Obituary 
CHARLES WILLIAM ADAMS, second son of the late Robert Adams, Superintendent of the Tilbury Docks, and great grandson of John Samuel Adams, Engineer of the East and West India Docks, London, was born on the 29th August 1875 at Bow, London.
He was educated at Grays College, Essex, and left school at the age of fifteen when he was apprenticed for three years to Messrs. Henry Fletcher Son and Fearnall, millwrights, of Tilbury Docks. He carried out his indentures and remained in their employ until May 1894.
In the following September he entered the service of Messrs. Harland and Wolff, of Belfast, as an improver, and was bound to them for two years in order to complete the five years required by the Board of Trade for marine engineers.
On the completion of his time with this firm, he was employed for a short period by Messrs. Workman, Clark and Co., of Belfast, and then returned to London and entered the works and afterwards the drawing office of Messrs. Yarrow and Co., of Poplar.
He left this firm at the end of 1902 to establish a motor engineering works at Brixton, but he was not destined to carry this on for long owing to failing health, which developed into disease of the kidneys and acute dysentery.
His death ensued on 5th August 1903, in his twenty-eighth year. He was a proficient swimmer and had saved life from drowning.
He became an Associate Member of this institution in 1901.