Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,927 pages of information and 230,620 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
c.1812 The Peter Street gasworks in Westminster was built in response the constrictions on the Cannon Row site. Peter St was the first permanent gas works for public supply. There was no immediate access to the river and so the delivery of coal and disposal of waste and by-products had to be by road. In 1817 this problem was partially solved by the laying of a pipe for effluent down to the river.
1848 The site was rebuilt and a wharf was leased in Millbank for coal delivery.
1853 the site was further enlarged.
1870 With the opening of Beckton Gasworks and the amalgamation of several other London companies by the Gas Light and Coke Co together with the reorganisation of the mains and distribution system, the Westminster works were first reduced to peak-load-only status and then finally closed altogether in 1875.