Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,414 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note - Possibly two unconnected companies
Associated with C. Allen and Son
Business run by Arthur Allen
1906-1907 Produced automobile chassis 'C.C.C.' - some sold to the Bridgwater Motor Co
1919 Company formed. 'Chassis Construction Co., Ltd Private company- Capital £20,000. Objects: To acquire the interest, of the Chassis Construction Co., and the sole manufacture of Laurence Jackson motor-car and pressed steel motor frames, etc. Directors:— J. W. Brotherton, The Chestnuts, Oaken, near Wolverhampton; E. Crosse, 193, Waterloo road, Wolverhampton; L. Laurence, 26, Willow-road, N.W.3; J. Dawes, 25, Ellwys road, Coventry.'
1919 Announced the Laurence-Jackson light car with either a water or air-cooled 8-10 hp V-twin JAP engine, four-speed and reverse friction transmission and final drive by duplex chain
Production lasted a year and few were built
1938 'Taunton Motor-Cars." In reply to the query from "A.Y.C." there was a motor-car named the "Taunton Car." but it was not made locally. Messrs. C. Allen & Son. Ltd., Tone Bridge Garage. Taunton, say that the Offices of the Chassis Construction Co. used to be at Tone Bridge Garage, Taunton, and that the Company consisted of local people, one of whom was Mr. A. Armitage. who lived at Haygrass. Taunton, and was one of the founder members and first honorary secretary of the Somerset Automobile Club, which was formed in 1904. The cars were assembled by Messrs. Allen & Son, at the Tone Bridge Garage, and some of them got into the hands of influential people, including the late Mr. C. E. J. Esdaile. of Cothelstone House, who ran his over two hundred thousand miles. Another of these cars was running about the Taunton district up to two or three years ago. when it had been transformed into a commercial vehicle.'