Also known as the Isle of Dogs Canal
1805 Under the West India Docks Act the Corporation of London obtained powers to construct a canal from Limehouse Reach to Blackwall Reach, the idea being to save vessels time and risk in navigating the reaches of the river around the Isle of Dogs.
1805 The City Canal was opened.
1829 The canal was not a financial success and was bought in 1829 by the West India Dock Co and transformed into a timber dock.
Years later it was enlarged and named the South West India Dock