Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,912 pages of information and 230,121 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Started as the Tees and Weardale Railway it changed its name to the Clarence Railway in 1828.
It opened in various bits between 1833 and 1835.
Steam working was started in 1838.
The line ran from Coxhoe to Port Clarence, with a branch to the Stockton and Darlington Railway, and was a rival to it; and hence any coal from Shildon to Simpasture, the junction, had to be worked by horses, as it had no running powers, and the Stockton and Darlington would not supply engines.
1844 the line was leased to the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway
1851 it was absorbed by the West Hartlepool Harbour and Railway