Claud Butler was a successful club cyclist, and in the late twenties in south London he started building bicycles in his garden shed. The Claud Butler range developed into the premier brand amongst hand-made enthusiasts’ cycles.
1928 Opened a shop in Battersea, South London.
1932 His bicycles were used in the Olympic Games in Los Angeles. Also used in various World Championships in the 1930s.
By the late thirties Claud Butler had established five retail branches across London, as well as a ‘Midlands Depot’ in Nottingham and the 'works' at Clapham Manor Street. The number of shops was consolidated to four at the resumption of full trading after the end of hostilities in 1945.
1956 The Clapham Manor Street works closed; the business called in receivers.
1958 The business was acquired by Holdsworth
1987 Both brands were acquired by Falcon Cycles
1991 Falcon was acquired by Casket plc.
Sources of Information
- Mosquito by C. Martin Sharp and Michael J. F. Bowyer. Published by Crecy Books in 1995. ISBN 0-947554-41-6
- The Times, September 10, 2011