Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Claude William Hill (c1863-1929)
1929 Obituary 
CLAUDE WILLIAM HILL, who died at Streatham on the 22nd June, 1929, at the age of 66, was educated at Ardingly College and at Owen's College, Manchester.
He was then employed for 6 months in the drawing office of Sir Joseph Whitworth and Co., after which he joined the staff of Messrs. H. B. Barlow and Co., where he gained further experience in the drawing office and machine shops.
In May 1882 he obtained a post as draughtsman with Messrs. Mather and Platt. His service with this firm lasted until 1886, and included a year in Russia.
Next he joined Messrs. J. F. Waddington and Co., where he took charge of the electrical department, subsequently being appointed to a similar position with Messrs. Josse and Co., Port Said, who, in 1888, placed him in charge of the installation of electric lighting on the Suez Canal.
From 1888 to 1891 he was chief draughtsman and works manager to Messrs. Charlesworth Hall and Co.
He then set up as a consulting engineer in Manchester, but in 1892 discontinued this work and became manager of Messrs. Paterson and Cooper, and a few years later general manager of the Phoenix Dynamo Co.
In 1897 he resumed work as a consulting engineer, with offices in London, continuing the practice until his death. He was responsible for the design of the machinery in connection with the King Edward VII Bridge, Newcastle-on-Tyne, the rolling lift bridges at Carmarthen and Waterford, the swing bridge at Limerick, the bascule bridge at Poole Harbour, and the new bridge at Booth Ferry; also for the design of airship mooring masts at Cardington and in Egypt and India, and of an airship shed at Karachi.
During the latter part of his career he designed and equipped saw mills both for home and abroad, and was joint consulting engineer to the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. During the War he was consulting engineer to the Ministry of Munitions.
He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1894.
1929 Obituary