Note the difference in the design of the webs between the spokes on adjacent wheels
This is one of the wooden foundry patterns used for casting the waterwheels. In the previous photo, note the difference in the shape of the webs between the spokes of the two adjacent wheels, and then note how the wooden pattern was altered to introduce this change
Coupling between waterwheel and pit wheel, which can accommodate a degree of misalignment
Flood level markings engraved in stone walls
Ferry Lane, Claverton, Near Bath, Somerset, BA2 7BH.
- A remarkable survivor which operated from 1813 to 1952, and is now restored to working condition. A very wide waterwheel drives two beam pumps which pumped water from the River Avon to the Kennet and Avon Canal. Designed by John Rennie (the elder), a number of modifications were introduced in the subsequent decades, and the museum's volunteers are happy to point out the interesting changes that have been made. Various modifications were made to reduce the tendency of the wheel to sag, culminating in the GWR's introduction of an intermediate bearing at the mid span of the shaft.
- Another attraction nearby is Dundas Aqueduct carrying the canal over the River Avon.
- An excellent 68-page booklet, Claverton Pumping Station, published by the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust in 2003, is available from the pumping station or via the station's website. This provides a thorough, well-illustrated account of the history, modifications, operation and restoration of the atation.
Claverton Pumping Station website.
Sources of Information