Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,354 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1948 The holding company of Low Temperature Carbonisation Ltd was renamed Coalite and Chemical Products Ltd, which continued to operate the Bolsover site through two subsidiaries, Derbyshire Coalite Co. Ltd, responsible for the smokeless fuel plant, and the British Diesel Oil & Petrol Co. Ltd, which ran the distillation plant, refinery and chemical works.
1952 the registered office for all three companies was moved from London to Bolsover.
1950s and early 60s: the company prospered during the economic growth.
1953 Coalite ceased to be rationed.
1956 The plant would have 19 batteries of retorts in use with a corresponding extension to the chemical plant. When the Clean Air Act came into force that year, Coalite was made an "authorised fuel" that could be burnt in domestic grates.
1960–1 A new research centre was built at Bolsover
1966 A new wing was added to the head office to house a computer.
In addition to the Bolsover plant, where the refinery business was now being run by Coalite Oils and Chemical Ltd, the company was making Coalite at Askern, near Doncaster (Yorks.).
1972 Coalite employed over 1,200 men in Bolsover.
1978 Coalite and Chemical Products Ltd was absorbed into Charrington Industrial Holdings Ltd.
1981 The group, now Coalite Group PLC, reorganised its two operating companies into Coalite Fuels and Chemical Ltd, which took over the Coalite plants at Bolsover, Askern and Grimethorpe, and the refinery at Bolsover.
1986 The Askern plant was closed.
2004 Coalite Products Ltd appointed receivers in April; business closed in September.