Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cole, Marchent and Morley of Prospect Foundry, Wakefield Road, Bradford.
formerly Cole, Marchent and Co
1889 Herbert William Morley joined the company
1890 The business and premises were purchased by Morley
1894 June. Royal Agricultural Society's Show. 4-inch and 6-inch pumps. 
1894 September. Prospect duplex Pump. 
1899 Incorporated as a limited liability company.
1900 Compound horizontal engine for the City and South London Railway. Article and illustrations. 
C.1901 Three engines made for Auckland Electric Tramways Co Ltd, of the horizontal cross-compound Corliss type, each capable of 475 ihp normal and 700 ihp. maximum output, running at 100 r.p.m., with steam pressure at the stop valve of 150 lbs. per square inch 
1907 Description and illustrations of vertical engine 'Mary' built for Huddersfield Corporation's power station. Cylinders 24" and 48" bore, 42" stroke. The main point of interest is the piston drop valves and their operating mechanism. . Referring to the illustrations, the steam valve is opened by lever J. The outer end of this lever is pressed down by the catch M, which pivots on the curved arm K. K is oscillated by a rod (not shown) connected to an eccentric. The steam valve is tripped to close when catch M releases lever J. The point at which this occurs is determined by cam H which contacts lever G. Cam H is rotated by a shaft positioned by the governor. So, for example, if the load on the engine reduces, the governor will act so as to unlatch the valve operating lever J at an earlier point. Chamber C on top of the valve contains a spring to close the valve, and a dashpot to cushion the final movement.
1907 Barring engine. Exhibit at Bradford Industrial Museum
1914? Supplied an engine to St David's Tinplate Works
1914 Engine builders and general engineers. Specialities: high-class stationary engines ranging from 100 to 3,000 hp for electric traction and driving mills of all descriptions; condensing plants, heavy millwright work, crude oil engines, piston drop valves, surface condensing plants. Employees 500. 
1916 Vertical engine for Arkwright Mill, Preston 
1917 Supplied engine to Stewarts and Lloyds Tube Works at Newport
1919 Installed an engine at Pontardawe Alloy Co
1920 May. Issued catalogue on central exhaust and tandem compound steam engines. 
1922 Article in 'The Engineer' described and illustrated the works and some of its products. The large machine tools included: three Asquith radial arm drills with arm radii of 6, 7 and 8 ft; four Pearn-Richards horizontal boring machines; a pit lathe for turning flywheels up to 30 ft diameter; a flywheel faceplate lathe accommodating wheels up to 18 ft diameter; a Buckton planer with capacity 10 x 10 x 20 ft; a Lang lathe for turning piston rods up to 26 ft long 
1928 Ceased trading
1935 Listed to be struck off.
1953 Company continues to trade.
A former engineer of the company, Arnold Throp, wrote an excellent account of the company and its engines, with a rare insight into the methods of manufacturing large steam engines