Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir Colin Fraser (1875-1944)
1944 Obituary 
Sir Colin Fraser, Director of Materials Supply in the Australian Department of Munitions and Chairman of the Commonwealth Minerals Committee, died in Melbourne on March 10, 1944.
Colin Fraser was born in New Zealand in 1875 and educated at Auckland and at University College, New Zealand, where he obtained a degree in 1905. He qualified as a mining geologist and for some years was a member of the New Zealand Department of Geological Survey.
In 1911 he came to London, and he went to Australia in 1914 to make a geological examination of the mining properties of the Mount Morgan Gold Mining Company, Ltd. Fraser was one of the members of the unofficial delegation representing the base-metal interests which went to Ottawa, London, and elsewhere in 1932. Three years later he was knighted.
Among the many companies with which he was connected were Broken Hill Associated Smelters, of which he was managing director, and the Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia, Ltd., and Broken Hill South, Ltd., of which companies he was chairman.
In addition to his membership of the Institute of Metals (which he joined in 1923), Fraser was a member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, being President in 1923 and 1924.