Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Coltness Iron Works, Newmains, Lanarkshire.
of 138 West George Street, Glasgow.
Manufacturers of the Famous 'Coltness' Brand.
1836 Company established.
1836 Thomas Houldsworth of Farnsfield, M.P. for Nottingham, Henry Houldsworth's brother, bought the Coltness estate
1837 He established the Coltness Iron Works.
1899 The company was registered on 10 July, to take over the business of a private company of the same name. 
1914 Iron and coal masters, steel and iron founders, chemical manufacturers, Portland cement manufacturers.
1937 New Tube Works on the Clyde
1951 Coltness Iron Co was renamed Coltness Holdings and would be put into liquidation; a new company also called Coltness Iron Co was incorporated to hold the continuing busineses
1951 Coltness Iron Co Ltd was formed to operate the assets not subject to nationalisation. Coltness Holdings Ltd was put into liquidation
1952 Works at Newmains advertised for sale. Included steel foundry, iron foundry, engineering shop, smithy and colliery hutch department. . Foundries at Newmains acquired by G. and J. Weir who intended to keep them working
1952 Coltness Iron Co was listed as a public company.
1955 Coltness Iron Works closed.
By 1956 was known as a cement and brick manufacturer
1964 Business became Coltness Industries Ltd. Chairman Lt. Col. J. F. H. Houldsworth.Group headquarters at Clive House, India Street, Glasgow.
1964 Recognition that diversification may have been undertaken too fast; there had been production problems with Webster skirting heating made by J. and W. Somerville, whose main business was making nails; there had also been problems refitting high speed launches; demand for bricks had increased; several enquiries had been received from Eastern Europe for Beckett and Anderson hydrostatic machines
1972 Coltness Group was reorganised into a divisional structure: