Coryton Oil Refinery.
1895 G. Kynoch and Co built an explosives factory on the site, which opened in 1897, with an estate for employees called Kynochtown.
Kynochs also built the Corringham Light Railway with a passenger branch from the works to Corringham and a goods branch to the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway at Thames Haven.
1919 The explosives factory was closed.
The site and railway were taken over by coal merchants Cory Brothers and Co to build an oil storage depot, with Kynochtown renamed Coryton.
1950 Vacuum Oil Co acquired the oil storage, blending packing business at Coryton of Cory Brothers and Co in exchange for shares in Vacuum Oil Co. An oil refinery would be built at Coryton, primarily for the production of lubricating oils.
1955 The Vacuum Oil Company changed its name to Mobil Oil Co. Ltd.
1970s Coryton village was demolished and the land was absorbed into the refinery site.
1996 BP took over operation of the refinery when Mobil's fuels operations in Europe were placed into a joint venture with BP.
2000 Following the merger of Mobil with Exxon, the remaining interest in the refinery was sold to BP.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Mar 25, 1950
- The Times, Oct 21, 1954
- Wikipedia