1891 Cotton Mills in Radcliffe
Note: This information was scanned and therefore there may be errors due to that process.
BLEACHERS, DYERS AND FINISHERS
- George Allen, Blue Mill Dye Works, Stand lane.
- W. Allen and Sons, Holly Bank Dye Works.
- Joseph Barlow and Sons, Springfield and Seymour Bleach and Dye Works, Radcliffe Bridge; Manchester office-10, Longston Buildings, Cannon st.
- Richard Bealey and Co, Radcliffe Close; Manchester office-89, St. James st. Telegrams, "Bealey, Radcliffe."
- Burton and Slingsby, (and warp sizers), Irwell Vale Works, Radcliffe Bridge; Manchester warehouse -11, Marsden square.
- John T. Dawson, Cawdaw Works; Manchester warehouse-1, Friday street, High street. Telegrams, " Cawdaw, Radcliffe."
- Eckersall and Co. (Dyers, bleachers and sizers), Springs Dye Works.
- Andrew Greenhalgh, (bleacher and finisher); Manchester office-17, Chancery lane.
- John Hardman and Brothers (and printers), Pipe Mill Bleach, Dye and Print Works; and at Radcliffe Hall; Manchester warehouse-8A, Palace square.
- Charles Heywood, Clough Works; Manchester warehouse-5, Peel street.
- Henry Hilton and Son, (bleachers and dyers), Hardman's green, Pilkington.
- W. and J. Hilton, (bleachers, dyers and sizers), New Road Works; Manchester office-Walton Buildings, New 3 rown street.
- John B. Lomax and Co. (finishers), Victoria Finishing Works; Manchester office-2, Hanson's court, Cannon street.
- John D. Lomax, (finisher), Alpha Finishing Works, Ringley road, Outwood. Postal address-Stoneclough, near Manchester.
- Samuel Lomax, (stiffener, calenderer and finisher), Albert Finishing Works
- J. Siddall and Son, Hollin Bank Dye Works.
- John Siddall, Smyrna and Britannia Bleach and Dye Works, Ainsworth road; and Irwell Bleach and Dye Works; Manchester office-2A, Peel street, Duke street. Pay day first Wednesday, by cheque. Telegrams, "John Siddall, Radcliffe."
- John Whittaker and Co, Mount Sion Bleach Works; Manchester office-14, Tib lane, Cross street. Telegrams, "Whittaker's, Radcliffe." Telephone No., 777.
- Radcliffe Printing Co, Limited, Radcliffe Hall; Manchester office-16, Charlotte street.
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Allen Brothers, Union and Sunny Bank Mills; 10,000 mule and 10,000 ring spindles, 1011/3611 weft, 2411/409 ring twist. Pay day first Wednesday.
- Catherine Allen, Green Hill Mill, Railway st., Radcliffe Bridge; 20 looms, smallwares, bed lace, &c.
- W. Allen and Sons, Holly Bank Mills; 700 looms; Manchester warehouse-28, Faulkner street. Pay day first Wednesday.
- Ashworth and Scholes, Heaton Hill Mill; 185 looms, coloured goods; Manchester warehouse-47, Cannon street.
- Bancroft and Co, Nursery Mill, Chapelfield; 70 looms, Turkey red plaid table covers, toilanettes and towels; Manchester warehouse-6, Phoenix street, Fountain street.
- Edward Barlow, Nursery Works, Chapelfield; 50 looms, tapes and ribbons; Manchester warehouse-26, Fountain st. Pay day first Tuesday.
- James Barlow, Windsor Mill, Bolton road; 225 looms, ginghams, checks, shirtings and stripes; and doubler, &c., Bridge Mill Shed, Whitworth.
- John Bentley and Sons, Wellington Mills; 384 looms, fancy unions, Harvard shirtings and cotton drills; Manchester warehouse-65, Mosley street.
- Bowker Squire and Son, Cross Mill, Radcliffe Hall; 252 looms, nankeens, ticks, Oxford skirtings, &c.; Manchester office-2, Print street, Cannon street.
- Crompton and Horrocks, Water Lane Mill; 211 looms, Derby, Oxford and Harvard shirtings, ginghams, handkerchiefs, &c.; Manchester warehouse-39,Faulkner street.
- John Fletcher, Peel Mill, Sion street; 100 looms, drills, ginghams, checks, fancy shirtings and handkerchiefs.
- Fletchers and Brydon, Spider Mill, Water lane; 212 looms, checks, ginghams, fancy drills, oxfords, &c.
- John C. Hamer, Hope Mills; 350 looms, ginghams, checks, linseys, fodens and handkerchiefs ; Manchester office-43, Cannon street. Pay day first Wednesday.
- William Hodgson and Son, Phoenix Mills, Irwell street; 260 looms, Oxford and Harvard shirtings, ginghams, drills and coloured goods; Manchester office-19, Dickenson street.
- Adam and James Hoyle, Park Street Mill; 100 looms, fancy shirtings, skirtings, checks, ginghams, handkerchiefs, &c. Telegrams," Hoyle, Radcliffe."
- John Hutchinson, Green Hill Mill; 60 looms, ginghams, checks and Oxford shirtings. Pay day first Tuesday.
- Thomas McClennan, York Street Mill, Hardy's gate; 6,500 spindles; tubular cotton spindle banding for mules, ring frames, throstle doublers, &c. Goods address and nearest Railway Station-Bury.-See advertisement.
- John C. Milns and Co, Stand Lane and Springfield Mills; 10,000 spindles; 650 looms, fancy union drills; Manchester warehouse-32, York street. Pay day first Tuesday, 2 to 4.
- New Road Mill Co, Limited; 16,200 spindles, 208/508 weft. Irvin Harbut, secretary.
- Richard Pendlebury and Sons, Irwell Mill, Radcliffe Bridge; 400 looms, ginghams, checks, ticks and regattas; Manchester warehouse-5, Phoenix street, Fountain street. Pay day first Tuesday.
- Noah Rostron, Sun Mills, Water lane; 300 looms; Manchester warehouse-7, Mosley street. Pay day first Wednesday.
- Stand Lane Mill Co, Allen Street and Canal Mills, Water lane; 390 looms, regattas, Oxford and Harvard shirtings, Bedford cords, trouserings and all kinds of coloured cotton goods; Manchester warehouse-34, Bloom street.
- Street and Son, Britannia Mill; 8,000 spindles, 168/268 twist, 168/368 weft; Manchester warehouse-18, New Cannon street.
- B. Thompson and Co, Limited, New Road Mill; 620 looms, shirtings, jacconettes, cambrics and twills; and at Haslingden. Pay day first Wednesday after 15th-, at Haslingden.
- Tootal Broadhurst Lee Co, Ltd., Black Lane Mills; 70,000 spindles, 140 looms; Sunnyside Mills, Daubhill, Bolton; and Ten Acres Mill, Newton Heath, Manchester; Manchester offices-56 to 62, Mosley street. Pay day third Monday at mill. Telegrams, " Tootals, Radcliffe."
- Wilbraham and Norris, Peel Mill, Sion street; 60 looms, union and cotton drills, Oxford and Harvard shirtings, trouserings, &c.
- John Young and Co, Red Bank Mills; 758 looms, shirtings, harvards, &c.; and Bradley Mill, Little Lever. Pay day first Tuesday, at the Manchester warehouse-34, George street. Telephone No., 303, Radcliffe.
Prestwich. 2 miles S.S.E. from Radcliffe (p173)
BLEACHERS, DYERS AND FINISHERS
- John and Henry Bleackley, Myrtle Grove Bleach and Dye Works; Manchester warehouse-10A, Bridgewater place.
- John Buckley, Bleach Works, Clough; Manchester warehouse-27, New Cannon street.
- Robert Kay and Sons, (and printers), Bunker's hill, Prestwich; and Adelphi Works, Salford; Manchester office-22, Booth street.
- Samuel Walch, Outwood Bleach and Dye Works; Manchester office-134, Deansgate.
COTTON GOODS MANUFACTURERS
- Barratt and Bradbury, Britannia Mill, Sherburne street; 130 looms, smallwares, hatters' trimmings, &c.; Manchester warehouse-17, Sackville street.
- Henry Hilton and Son, Parkside Mills, Rooden lane; 99 looms, galloons, hatters' trimmings and general smallwares; and bleachers and dyers at Hardman's green, Pilkington; Manchester warehouses -39, York street, and 12, Faulkner street.
- Hulton Walker, Albion Mill; 53 looms, smallwares; and at Fielding Street and Parkfield Mills, Middleton; Manchester warehouse-79, Piccadilly.
Whitefield, Unsworth and Besses-o'th'-Barn. 11 miles S.E. from Radcliffe. (p173)
BLEACHERS, DYERS AND FINISHERS
- John Brierley, Spring Clough, Whitefield; Manchester office-2, Cleveland buildings, Market street.
- R. and A. Chambers, Spring Water Bleach Works, Whitefield; Manchester office-18, Dale street.
- Halstead Duckworth and Co, Crow Oaks Works, Whitefield; Manchester office-21, Fountain street. Telegrams, " Croaks, Whitefield."
- Unsworth Finishing Co, Unsworth.
- Yap Brothers, (dyers), Lily Hill Dye Works, Whitefield.
COTTON GOODS MANUFACTURERS
- William Allen, -Exors. of-smallware manufacturers. Victoria Mill, Besses-o'th'-Barn ; Manchester office-26, York street.
- W. T. Ashton and Son, Stanley Mill, Whitefield; about 300 looms, shirtings, ginghams, checks, &c.; and Hope Mill, Spring Vale, Darwen.
- John George Clayton, Albert Mill, Whitefield; 164 looms, coloured shirtings, nankeens, coutils and fancy drills. Pay days Tuesday and Friday, at 11, Swan court, Market street, Manchester. Telegrams, " Nankeen, Manchester."
- Francis Mather, Whitefield Mill, Whitefield; 232 looms, fancy drills, &c.; Manchester warehouse -9, Rook street.
- John Taylor and Sons, ?? Lane Mill Whitefield; 176 looms, ginghams, zephyrs, Oxford and Harvard shirtings; Manchester warehouse-19, Mosley street.
- Worthington and Co, Victoria Mills Unsworth 220 looms, ticks, regattas, nankeens, linen drills, &c. Pay day last Friday, at 5, George street, Manchester.