County of London Electric Lighting Co
The County of London Electric Lighting Co. of New Broad St, London EC4 (1929)
of Moorgate Court, London EC
Also known as The County of London Electric Supply Co.
1891 Company incorporated
1894 Name changed to The County of London and Brush Provincial Electric Lighting Co.. Acquired sites for 2 power stations - on the Regent's Canal at the City Road basin, and on the Thames at Wandsworth.
1896 Two generating stations started operation - City Road and Wandsworth - producing 2000v single phase 100 Hz with combined capacity of 300kW (equivalent to 9,000 8 candle power glow lamps). The stations were based on a Brush Co design. Bournemouth and Poole Electric Supply Co was an associated company.
1903 Latest in a series of orders granted to The County of London and Brush Provincial Electric Lighting Co. in respect of various areas of London
1904 The County of London Electric Supply Co planned to bring an order in Parliament to enable compulsory purchase of land, build generators, etc.
Sources of Information
- The early days of the power station industry, 1939
- The London Gazette 17 November 1903