Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Presumably successor to the County of London and Brush Provincial Electric Lighting Co.
1904 The County of London Electric Supply Company planned to bring in an Order in Parliament to allow the company to compulsorily purchase land at various locations, erect generating stations, etc
1912 A correspondent to The Times identified the company's Westminster Power Station as one of 6 which should be considered for an integrated London supply; it generated 2 phase 50 Hz 6kV with distribution at 200V
1913 Gained the Romford order, allowing the company to supply electricity in Essex and build a station at Barking.
1913 Six London companies placed a large advert about potential uses of electricity in the home and office - in the drawing room, in the dining room, in the bedroom, for cooking and for vacuum cleaning
1914 20th OGM . The company had added a larger number of customers than any other London electricity supply company in the past year. The company had modern power houses at Wandsworth and City Road, as well as investments in the Bournemouth and Poole Co and the Airdrie and Coatbridge Co. The key issue facing London was the diversity of suppliers in London (29 undertakings, including 13 companies) with many different supply voltages and qualities, as well as the prospect of the London County Council taking over the company's interests in London in 1931 with the effect this was having on investment.
1918 The company offered to acquire the shareholders' interests in the South Metropolitan Electric Light and Power Co Ltd, and had demonstrated interconnection of the Sutton station of the South Metropolitan Electric Tramways and Lighting Co with the company's 2 stations. Successful interconnection with the South London Electric Supply Co had also been demonstrated.
Continued to extend to adjoining areas.
1944 Acquired Brentwood District Electric Co Ltd