Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,920 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Thornaby-on-Tees, shipbuilders
Craig Taylor's shipyard was included in a general view of the River Tees and banks from near the bottom of Castlegate, Stockton.
1836 The shipyard was opened by Irving, Lane and Co.
1884 The yard was taken over by Craig Taylor's.
Based in Thornaby on the Tees, the Craig, Taylor yard mainly built tramps and colliers. 
The company was established in 1885.
1900 The yard built four ships and then built a number of tramps for many Cardiff based shipowners.
1905 They became a limited liability company. The company was registered on 12 July to acquire the business of shipbuilders of the firm of the same name. 
1914 Shipbuilders. Employees 1,200 to 1,400. 
WWI The yard mainly built tramps to private order. Also built cargo liners.
1920s After the War the yard had long periods where there were no orders to fulfil. Particularly poor years were 1923 and 1926. The yard completed 16 vessels between 1920 and 1930.
1930 The yard was bought by National Shipbuilders Security.
1931 The yard was demolished. Land then owned by Head, Wrightson and Co.
Shipbuilding caused Stockton to expand rapidly in the 1850s and 60s. The towns population grew by 250% from 1850 due to the opening of the new iron shipyards on the north and south side of the River Tees. The new technology associated with iron shipbuilding and its associated industries was to be a major cause of Stockton becoming an important industrial centre. The shipyards in Stockton changed hands many times. By the 1920s, when shipbuilding finally ceased, there were only 3 large sites left: Ropner’s on the North bank, Richardson Duck and Co., and Craig Taylor and Co. on the South bank of the Tees.