Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,405 pages of information and 233,863 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Civil engineers, of Edinburgh
Design and execution of harbour and lighthouse works
1914 (David) Alan Stevenson became an assistant in the firm.
1919 Alan was taken into partnership.
By the 1920s the period of great development of harbours, lighthouses, and navigational river deepenings in Britain had passed, and the nation was in the throes of economic recession. Nevertheless, the firm still kept busy in a smaller way on works such as further deepening the lower Clyde, sewerage and water supply projects, and, more particularly, on the maintenance of lighthouse stations and modernization of equipment.
1936 The firm was reformed as A. and C. Stevenson, at 90A George Street, Edinburgh. The new firm's workload was much reduced, relying principally on the family's commission as joint engineers to the Clyde Lighthouses Trust.
1940 Charles Stevenson retired, after which Alan Stevenson continued to act solely as the Trust's engineer.
1952 Alan retired - this marked the end of nearly a century and a half of continuous service by Stevenson engineers to the Trust.