Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Daimler: Commercial Vehicles

From Graces Guide
1896.
1899. Daimler Bus made in UK. Two-cylinder. Exhibit at the National Automobile Museum, Mulhouse.
1899. Daimler Bus made in UK. Two-cylinder. Exhibit at the National Automobile Museum, Mulhouse.
January 1903.
November 1912. Daimler motor fire engine.
February 1914. 28-seat Char-a-banc.
February 1914. Daimler lorry for Phillips and Marriott.
1914. Petrol farm tractor.
1914. Daimler Petrol Tractor.
1914.
January 1920.
January 1920. 2-ton model.
October 1920. 2-ton model.
1921.
May 1921.
March 1922.
March 1922. 28-seater for United Service Transport Co.
March 1930. Model CF6 with sleeve-valve.

Note: This is a sub-section of Daimler

1908 Daimler had built a petrol-electric double-decker.

1911 Frank Searle of London General Omnibus Co joined the company.

1912. Daimler and the London General Omnibus Co formed AEC.

The Y-type was replaced by the CC during the war and was built in quantity mainly for the military.

Daimler pioneered pneumatic tyres on single-deckers, particularly charabancs.

1930 March. Supplying the model CF6 to Elliott Brothers (Bournemouth), J. Glenton Friars, London and North Eastern Railway, Lancaster Corporation, Edinburgh Corporation, P. Hearn, Ennis and Reed and Thomson's Tours and others

1930 saw the arrival of the CG6 a modern chassis with wider track and lower frame.

In 1932 the CP6 was changed and had a new poppet-valve 6.6 litre engine.

In 1933 at The Commercial Vehicle Show Daimler produced the COG5, a diesel with Gardner 5LW seven-litre engine.

In 1940 the factory was bombed so all manufacture abruptly ceased.

Over the next six years 300 diesel-engined chassis were produced.

In December 1942 The Ministry of Supply found Daimler a factory and production continued with the CWG5.

By 1943 100 had been built.

Daimler then changed to produce CWA6 with an AEC engine. By 1945 630 had been completed.

Daimler had been working on their own design of a 8.6 litre six-cylinder engine since 1936.

All drawings and test records were burnt in the fire when the factory was bombed.

In 1945 the first chassis with the new engine was built. After this time Daimler-engined chassis were built together with AEC

1951 A new single-decker design was launched called the Freeline which used a five-speed preselective gearbox.

1957 Manchester specified a narrower bonnet with separate mounted headlights, this look was then deemed as standard.

1960 Daimler was sold to Jaguar.

During the 1960s Daimler moved on their designs to rear-engined chassis.

1966 Jaguar merged with British Motor Corporation to become British Motor Holdings.

1968 BMH merged with Leyland Motors which formed British Leyland Motor Corporation.

1969 Gardner 6LX was the standard unit with the 6LXB.

1,500 Daimler Fleetlines were built by Leyland

1974 Another name change to Leyland Fleetline.

By 1980 11,750 Fleetlines had been produced.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information