Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Furniture maker of High Wycombe
1839 According to family tradition, Glenister’s was founded by Daniel Glenister in 1839. He was a publican; if the local chairmakers couldn’t pay their tab at the bar, they made up chairs out of spare parts for him, which he then sold. This sideline soon became more profitable than the pub. At this time the business was in Queen’s Square, High Wycombe
By 1845 Had moved to Oxford Road.
1851 Employed 50.
By 1865 Glenister was in partnership with a John Gibbons, whereupon his son Thomas became Secretary to another famous chair-master, Walter Birch (sic).
1888 The company of Glenister and Gibbons survived until at least 1888
Mr (Thomas?) Glenister was Mayor of High Wycombe between 1889-91, the first chair master to occupy the office.
1895 First reference to the firm of Thomas Glenister at Temple End, High Wycombe.
Temple End was a substantial site based around Temple House, a 17th-18th century farmhouse on the north-west side of High Wycombe town centre. The house was substantially altered in about 1897 by Thomas Glenister.
Glenister’s had its own stables (during the days of horse-drawn transport), water supply, woodland and a timber yard crane.
WWII a nursery was built in the grounds for local mothers to leave their children during the day.
The core business of the firm was Windsor-style chairs and the Refectory tables, settees and arm chairs.
Glenister’s took orders for the Ministry of Supply, providing furniture for barracks, libraries and hospitals (including screens).
1953 Thomas Glenister made some of the stools and chairs for the Elizabeth II Coronation.
1962 Temple House was converted into offices.
1990 The company closed.