Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of York Street, Albert Hill, Darlington
Successor to Darlington Wagon Co
1887 Directors: Thodore Fry, MP; John Bowman; James Wilson; George D. Wilson; William Moore Angas.
1889 Constructing pier for Trouville 
1903 'A Darlington correspondent is officially informed that the Buenos Ayres and Rosario Railway Company have placed important contracts for no fewer than 410 "high capacity" freight cars exclusively with British builders, the Darlington Wagon and Engineering Company securing the contract for 210 wagons whilst the order for the remaining 200 has been given to the Metropoliten Amalgamated Railway Carriage and Wagon Company. The wagons, which will be 39ft 6in long, 10ft wide, 13ft 5in high, and provided with iron roofs, will be fitted with vacuum brake power and have a carrying capacity of 40 tons each, being designed for the 5ft 6in gauge. The Darlington Wagon and Engineering Company have, in addition, also secured a contract for 1,100 wheels and axles for delivery at Tokio, for the Japanese railways.'
1905 'WAGON WORKS. A RESTART AT DARLINGTON. The Alliance Works, better known as the Wheel and Axle Works, Darlington, which formed part of the Darlington Wagon Engineering Company's Works, have been sold by private treaty, the negotiations being finally concluded last night, to a syndicate of Mr Blake, Middlesbrough, the patentee of a special marine boiler, Mr J. W. Richardson, Darlington, M. R. Blaylock, Mr J. Banks, Mr T. Richardson, and others. It is intended to continue bridge building, the manufacture of high capacity wagons, construct girders, and to build Blake's patent marine boilers. The machinery will be put down at once, discarding such at the works as is antiquated, and replacing it with up-to-date machinery, hydraulic rivetting plant, and such machinery as will be specially required. It is anticipated that the works will be in full swing in the course of two months, and that they will give employment to between four and five hundred men.'