Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,916 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1898 The Blackburn and Over Darwen Tramways Company was acquired by Blackburn Corporation and Darwen Corporation who took over the sections of track in their respective towns.
Darwen leased its lines to Blackburn Corporation allowing the steam trams to continue running.
1901 Darwen recovered the lines from Blackburn Corporation and electrified its system.
Ten open-topped bogie cars were purchased from George F. Milnes and Co.
Various branch lines were added to the system
1905 A four-wheel demi-car with trucks by Mountain and Gibson was purchased for one-man operation of the Hoddelesden route followed by two more the next year.
1926 A motorbus service began to Chapels, Bold Venture Park, Spring Vale and Sunnyhurst.
1936 The final purchase of trams was of two new English Electric streamlined trams
1937 Motorbuses replaced trams on the Hoddelesden route.
1946 The tram service was replaced by buses.