Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,099 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
David Fulton (1878-1948)
DAVID FULTON, who died at his home at Swansea on the 23rd January, 1948, was born on the 23rd May, 1878. He received his early education at Granton College, Liverpool, and at the Liverpool Institute; his engineering education at the Liverpool School of Science and Art and the Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh; and his practical training with W. and J. Robinson and Co., Bootle. Between 1897 and 1901 he spent various short periods with the Sunderland Forge Co., Tromp, Curtis and Co., and Bruce Peebles and Co. He then went into partnership with Mr. Ward, at Liverpool, as a contractor for lighting and power installations. In 1903 he was appointed Electrical Engineer and Manager to John Burn of West Hartlepool, and the following year he took a similar position with the South Durham Steel and Iron Co., which he held until 1909, when he went to the Swansea Harbour Trust as Chief Electrical Engineer and Manager. When the Trust was taken over by the Great Western Railway (1923) his services were retained, and he took over Port Talbot Docks and District in 1927, and Fishguard Harbour and District in 1931.
He was very popular with his colleagues on the Railway and Docks, by whom he was highly esteemed. In his younger days he played as an amateur for Everton Football Club, and he was an enthusiastic follower of the game up to the time of his death.
He became a Member of The Institution in 1921, and served on the Committee of the West Wales (Swansea) Sub-Centre 1931-34 and 1935-38.