Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,485 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
David George Phillips Davies (1859-1898)
1899 Obituary 
DAVID GEORGE DAVIES, born on the 23rd January, 1859, was the only son of the late Mr. David Davies, of Swansea. He was educated at Thistleboon School, Oystermouth, and served articles with Hortensius Huxham of Swansea, civil and mining engineer, with whom he subsequently remained as an assistant.
From 1879 to 1882 he was engaged as an assistant to Joseph Kincaid, of Westminster, on work in connection with various railway and tramway undertakings.
In September, 1882, Mr. Davies began to practise on his own account, and during the following six years he was engaged on work in connection with the Corris Railway, the South West Junction Railway, the Torquay District Railway, and the West Metropolitan and other tramways in London.
He also surveyed about 150 miles of light railways in various parts of Ireland for Mr. Kincaid, and in 1886 he went to Para, Brazil, as agent for an English company to report on and value a tramway.
In 1889 Mr. Davies gave up private practice, and from that year until 1892 he was employed by Messrs. Read and Campbell on the construction of the Mexican Southern Railway, at first as an Assistant Engineer, and subsequently in charge of one of the most difficult divisions of the line.
In 1893, he was chief surveyor for Messrs. Livesey, Son, and Henderson in a party sent out by them to South Africa to report respecting the construction of the Beira to Salisbury Railway.
In August, 1894, he was appointed Resident Engineer in Venezuela to the South Western of Venezuela (Barquisimeto) Railway Company, and he held that post until his death, which took place suddenly at Barquisimeto on the 20th October, 1898, the immediate cause being the pressure of a clot of blood on the brain.
Mr. Davies showed great ability, both as an engineer and organiser, and he gained the respect and esteem of all with whom he was brought into contact by his many sterling qualities.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 12th January, 1886.