Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
David Scott (1838-1885)
1886 Obituary 
DAVID SCOTT was born near Cupar, Fifeshire, on 12th March 1838, and having been educated at the Madras College, St. Andrews, was articled in 1854 at the iron works of Messrs. Balfour and Co., near Leven, Fifeshire.
After serving his time for five years in those works, he returned in 1859 to St. Andrews, and studied there for an appointment in the Public Works Department of India, which he obtained in 1860.
On arriving in India, he studied at the Civil Engineering College at Roorkee till July 1861, when he was appointed a second grade assistant engineer on the permanent staff of the Public Works Department in Oudh, and was employed on the construction of the trunk road between Lucknow and Fyzabad, and upon the large bridge over the Kalianee river.
In 1866 he was promoted to be fourth grade executive engineer in charge of the station of Seetapore, where he remained till 1870, when he was appointed an executive engineer in the irrigation department, and employed on the surveys and plans for the Sardah Canal, Oudh, until the abandonment of the scheme in 1871.
He was then appointed assistant secretary to the Government of India, in the buildings and road branch.
On returning from a visit to Europe in 1875, he was appointed, during the absence of the vice-chairman and engineer to the Port Commission of Calcutta, to conduct the duties of that office.
Subsequently he rejoined the Public Works Department as an executive engineer in various parts of Bengal, and in 1877 had charge of famine relief-works in the Madras presidency.
From May 1881 he again officiated as engineer to the Port Commission, Calcutta, till May 1883, when he had to take furlough for health.
On his return he was appointed superintending engineer for wet docks at Kidderpore.
In June 1885 illness led him to make a voyage to Melbourne, where he landed on 5th July, and grew gradually worse till he died there on 29th August at the age of forty-seven.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1876.
1886 Obituary