1928 The Ditton Laboratory was set up at East Malling, focussed on the storage and preservation of fruit and vegetables
It was added to the organisation built around the Low Temperature Research Station, working on the preservation of food.
When fully developed the organisation had its headquarters at Cambridge and four main divisions situated at the six laboratories
1958 The central organisation was dissolved.
1959 the laboratory was transferred to the Agricultural Research Council