Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Doulton and Watts, potters, earthenware makers, of 28 High St, Lambeth
1815 John Doulton (1793–1873) became a partner in the pottery of Martha Jones in Vauxhall Walk, London, together with John Watts. The business became Jones, Watts and Doulton. It specialised in making stoneware articles, such as decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes
1820 Mrs Jones withdrew from the business
1826 Doulton and Watts flourished, moving in 1826 to premises in Lambeth High Street.
1829 at 15 Lambeth High Street
Eventually 6 of John's sons joined the business including John junior (the eldest) and Henry who became an apprentice in 1835. Henry was to be the driving force behind a number of innovations which made the name of Doulton world famous.
1846 Henry Doulton left home to start his own business to make ceramic pipes for the sanitary market. In addition Henry continued to help his father's firm of Doulton and Watts, and both concerns gradually expanded onto adjoining land and premises.
1852 28 High St, Lambeth: Doulton and Watts, stone potters, water filter, chemical apparatus and water closet makers; and John Doulton, junior, earthenware manufacture, which was also at Liverpool Pottery, St Helens, Lancs.
1853 John Watts retired.
1853 Doulton and Co was established by John and his son Henry as makers of fine English stoneware.
1873 John Doulton senior died.
1877 The Doultons acquired a small factory from Pinder, Bourne and Co at Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire – a facility that handled tableware as well as ornaments and earthenwares. The company was soon producing bone china at this factory. This led to a large and increasing home trade, not only in earthenware but also in china.
Introduced novel and artistic decorations which led to increasing renown for the Burslem wares.
1878 Doulton and Watts, Lambeth Pottery, exhibited stoneware, filters and fine art stoneware at the 1878 Paris Exhibition; H. Doulton and Co, High Street, Lambeth, exhibited sanitary stoneware, terra cotta faience; Doulton and Co, High Street, Lambeth, exhibited plumbago crucibles, fire-standing goods
1889 The Lambeth establishment employed c.2000 people and there were another 2000 employees in other parts of the Doulton empire; drains works were also at St Helens and Rowley Regis
1891 Henry Lewis Doulton became a partner.
1895 Doulton and Watts, Lambeth Pottery, London SE, manufacturers of Doulton ware, etc. Showroom at Albert Embankment. City showroom at Holborn Circus. Encaustic tile manufacturers, 24 High St, Lambeth. Doulton and Co (Lambeth Sanitary Engineering works) and makers of carbon filters, 24 High St, Lambeth.
1897 Henry Doulton retired in summer 1897, and died in November.
1898 Doulton and Co: offer of public shares in the company incorporated to acquire a company of the same name. The growth of the company and the withdrawal of Sir Henry's capital had made this step necessary. The company was incorporated on 1 January 1899; Henry Lewis Doulton, was chairman and managing director, and the other directors were Ronald Duncan Doulton (Henry's nephew), Benjamin Hannen, a builder, and William Turnbull, a partner in a firm of china merchants.