Dublin and Drogheda Railway
Dublin and Drogheda Railway (D&D) was a railway company in Ireland.
The D&D constructed the railway line between Dublin and Drogheda. The company presented the scheme to parliament in 1836 and received royal assent on 13 August 1836. John MacNiell was appointed as the line's engineer in 1840 and by October 1840 construction was underway.
The official opening of the line occurred on 25 May 1844. Initially, trains ran from Drogheda (the Drogheda terminus of the D&D being located 1/4 mile southeast of the current Drogheda railway station) to a temporary Dublin terminus at the Royal Canal.
The following stations were served by the line when it opened: Royal Canal (Temporary Dublin terminus - replaced by Amiens Street Station on 29 November 1844); Clontarf; Raheny; Baldoyle; Portmarnock; Malahide; Donabate; Rush and Lusk; Skerries; Balbriggan; Gormanston; Laytown; Bettystown; Drogheda.
In 1845 a new railway company, Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway (D&BJct), received royal assent for its Act to connect the D&D at Drogheda to the Ulster Railway at Portadown, thereby creating a rail link between Dublin and Belfast when the line was completed in 1852.
The Northern Railway of Ireland was formed by a merger of the D&D with the D&BJct in 1875.
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia