Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,323 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway was a railway link between those two towns in Scotland which ran along the banks of the River Tay.
The railway company received its Parliamentary Act on 19 May 1836 as a 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) gauge railway. It was destined to play a more important part than the Dundee and Newtyle Railway, inasmuch as it is now a section of the East Coast route to Aberdeen.
Tho line was opened from Arbroath to Craigie, outside Dundee, in October 1838; on June 3rd, 1839, it was carried to Roodyards, 1 mile from Dundee; The section thence to Trades-lane in Dundee was built by the Dundee Harbour Trustees, and on April 8th 1840 the line fully opened.
17 mile line with a branch to Almericloss and on a 5ft 6ins gauge. Opened in 1838 from a temporary station at Craigie, Dundee.
1923 Became part of London, Midland and Scottish Railway