Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
at Burgh by Sands, west of Carlisle.
This was built as 'drawbridge' for a minor road over the Carlisle Canal in 1819-23. In 1853-4 it was rebuilt to carry the road over the Port Carlisle Dock and Railway Co railway, with cast-iron central parapets on supporting wooden pillars. The surviving plinth with rounded corners was originally the supporting structure for the canal drawbridge. The height of the abutments was increased for the railway overbridge when the canal closed. Grade II listed . The wooden supports have been replaced by steel.
The railway was closed in 1964.