Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Pantyffynon, near Swansea
1881 David Richards in partnership with James Jones purchased the Dynevor Tinplate Works in August 1881
1882 Advert: 'PANTYFFYNNON, CARMARTHENSHIRE. BY ORDER OF THE MORTGAGEES.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION by Mr J. C. HILDITCH, at the Cameron Arms Hotel, Swansea, on TUESDAY, the 11th day of July, 1882, at Two o'clock in the Afternoon, in one Lot, or as may be agreed upon by the vendors at the time of Sale, subject to conditions to be then and there produced and read, all those valuable
LEASEHOLD NEWLY-ERECTED TIN-PLATE WORKS, LAND, A PREMISES
(with the Engines and Fixed Plant), known as the Dynevor Iron and Tin-plate Works, situate on the north side of the Llanelly branch of the Great Western Railway, and immediately adjoining the station at Pantyffynnon, until lately worked by the Dynevor Iron and Tinplate Company, Limited.
The property comprises a mill room, 93 feet long by 76 feet 6 inches wide, in which is a new 43-inch inverted condensing engine with a 32-ton fly wheel, fitted with double crank axie, to drive rolls on either side, by Edwin Foden, of Sandbach; one large-sized mill with two pairs of cold rolls and foundations for another mill and two pairs of cold rolls; two double-flued Lancashire boilers, 30 feet by 7 feet, fitted with Galloway cross tubes and covered in; one steam donkey pump, bar sheers and engine combined, by Powell,of Llaneliy; annealing and scouring room 102ft long and 43ft wide, with first-class annealing furnace, large enough to do the work of three mills; tin-house, 43ft by 59ft 6in, arranged for six sets, two of which are complete with 6-horse horizontal engine, shafting, and gearing assorting-room, refining furnace, and water tank, with commodious office and weighing-room a new 30-ton railway weighing machine, by Bartlett and Son, of Bristol; blacksmith's shop, store-room, and other buildings, and land, containing altogether between five and six acres.
The whole of the buildings are newly erected and very subtantially built, and the fixed plant is of the best description.
The Works are supplied with water by a small water wheel and two force pumps from a stream flowing through the premises.
Communication with the railway is by means of a siding from the Pantyffynnon Station.
The stack is about 180 feet high, and one of the finest in the neighbourhood.
The whole of the property is leasehold for the residue of a term of 60 years, commencing 29th September, 1880, at a yearly rent of £ 56.
To view, apply to the watchman on the premises and for further information and particulars to Mr A. E. STRINGER, Solicitor, 58617 Sandbach, Cheshire.'
Note: The works, sited alongside the Pantyffynon Colliery, were named after the owner of the land, Lord Dynevor. The nearby hamlet of Cross Inn was later renamed Ammanford. Steam engine maker Edwin Foden was a sponsor, believing that tinplate was a 'good thing to get into'. Evidently he changes his mind, and the project was taken over by a group of local businessmen who floated the Dynevor Tin Plate and Iron Co. For technical expertise they brought in David Thomas (ironfounder, Pontardulais), Enoch Stanford (Pontardulais), and Trevor Davies (from Llangennech).
1923 Acquired by Grovesend Steel and Tinplate Co