Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 28 Cockspur Street, London, SW1
1864 E. Dent and Co was formed, carrying on the business started by Edward John Dent,
1864 Thomas Buckney was appointed superintendent of the manufacturing department
1865 After Elizabeth's death the firm was controlled by members of the Buckney and Gardner families, initially Thomas Buckney and then descendents of Elizabeth's two daughters, and employed other members of the extended Dent family.
1876 Registered the Dent Triangle as a trademark
1884 Dissolution of the Partnership between Thomas Buckney and Henry Dent Gardner, carrying on business as Clock, Watch, and Chronometer Makers, at No. 61, Strand and No. 35, Royal Exchange, under the style or firm of E. Dent and Co. The business was to be carried on under the same style or firm of E. Dent and Co., by Thomas Buckney
1897 Incorporated as a Limited company
1916 Dent's Watches, Dent's Clocks, of 61 Strand and 4 Royal Exchange, London
1937 Watch and clock makers and repairers.
Post-WWII Checked and repaired watches for the Royal Air Force
1950s onwards, produced specialised clocks on commission for collectors; continued to repair its watches and clocks.
1968 the last Buckney emigrated, turning the business over to the managing director.
1975 The firm became a subsidiary of Toye and Co. Ltd.