E. J. Dent and Co
of 61 Strand, 33 Cockspur Street, and 34 Royal Exchange, maker of chronometers
1812 Company established by Edward John Dent
1814 Dent constructed the first Standard Astronomical Clock for the Admiralty
1826 Trading as E. J. Dent
1840 The partnership with John Roger Arnold ends and Edward John Dent starts producing clocks once more under his own name
1851 Extensive exhibits at the Great Exhibition
1853 Death of Edward John Dent; his will divided his business interests between his stepsons, Richard, who inherited the Cockspur Street premises but died, intestate, of a brain disease in 1856, and Frederick; the trading name became Frederick Dent
1854 Makers of clock for the tower ("Big Ben") at the Houses of Parliment
1860 After Frederick's death, Edward's widow Elizabeth Dent continued to run the business.
1864 E. Dent and Co formed
1865 After Elizabeth's death the firm was controlled by members of the Buckney and Gardner families, descended from Frederick's two sisters, and employed other members of the extended Dent family.
1876 Registered the Dent Triangle as a trademark
1897 E. Dent and Co Ltd incorporated
1968 the last Buckney emigrated, turning the business over to the managing director.
1975 it became a subsidiary of Toye & Co. Ltd.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1959/06/12
-  Dent Watches