Earley Power Station
1940 the Electricity Commissioners in agreement with the Central Electricity Board proposed a programme of new generating capacity to mitigate war risks and the growth in demand associated with the development of munitions factories. The programme entailed the installation of 180 MW of plant in four existing stations and two new stations one at Earley east of Reading and the other at Castle Meads, Gloucester.
Earley was the only power station owned by the CEB; it was operated by Edmundson’s Electricity Corporation until nationalisation in 1948.
1940 Construction started
1942 Supply from Earley began on 8 December 1942 T
Its plant initially comprised a Parsons 40 MW steam turbo-alternator fed from three International Combustion boilers fired with pulverised coal.
1944–45 A second 40 MW set and International Combustion boilers was installed.
1945-7 A third 40 MW set and International Combustion boilers was installed.
1948 Ownership was vested in the British Electricity Authority
Earley was also the site of a pioneering gas turbine, a 56 MW alternator driven by four Rolls Royce Avon jet engines which was commissioned in 1965. A second gas turbine using diesel fuel was installed later.
1970s The steam plant and generators were decommissioned in the 1970s. T
1982 The gas-turbine plant and the whole station were decommissioned.
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia