East Argentine Railway
The East Argentine Railway was a British-owned railway company, founded in 1871, that operated a standard gauge railway network in the Entre Ríos and Corrientes provinces of Argentina.
Financial problems forced the sale of the company to another British-owned company, the Argentine North Eastern Railway (ANER) in 1907.
The company was founded in August 1871 to take over a concession, originally granted to P. Montravel in October 1864 for the construction of a line, 293 km long, from Concordia in the province of Entre Ríos to Mercedes in the province of Corrientes. Standard gauge was chosen because of its use in the neighboring country of Uruguay and other railways in that part of Argentina later followed this example.
Starting from Concordia, Federación was reached in 1874, Monte Caseros the next year and then Ceibo on the River Uruguay, which was later developed as a port. Financial problems ensued and further construction of the line was stopped.
In 1886 the Argentine government granted a new concession to John and Matthew Clark to complete the line from Monte Caseros to Mercedes and on to Corrientes. The Clark brothers later transferred their concession to the ANE for the construction to be completed and in 1907 the company bought the EAR.
1874 Share issue 
The directors were -
- Right-Hon W. N. Massey, M.P.
- John Bramley-Moore
- Charles John Boyle
- Robert Wilfred Graham
- Russell Shaw
- George Barclay Bruce is Engineer
....The Railway, which is ninety-six miles in length, starts from Concordia, in the Province of Entre Reos, and extends to Monte Casoros, in the Province of Corrtentes. Thirty-four miles, viz., from Conordia to Federacion were opened on the 23th March last, In the presence of the President of the Republic, and the Government having accepted that section, the guarantee of £700. per mile per annum attaches thereto from the date of opening. The remaining sixty-two miles from Federacion to Monte Caseros are in a very forward state, as will be seen from the Report of the Company's Engineer-in-chief, Mr. G. B. Bruce. It Is hoped that the entire Line will be completed and opened for traffic by the end of the present year....
Sources of Information
- Birmingham Daily Post - Tuesday 02 June 1874