Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,878 pages of information and 232,615 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edge Hill Railway Works
c.1830 These works were built by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway around 1830 at Edge Hill, Liverpool.
1839 A second works was built in 1839 by the Grand Junction Railway, adjacent to that line. The London and Birmingham Railway also had a workshop in the area, near to that of Edward Bury who was also locomotive superintendent of that line (this workshop was soon moved to Wolverton).
The shop initially maintained and repaired the Liverpool and Manchester Railway company's existing fleet of thirty six locomotives, bought in from private makers, twenty seven from Robert Stephenson and Co
1841 four 2-2-2 were built, followed by six more the following year, which also saw the production of 2-4-0 goods engines.
By 1845 some twenty eight engines had been built, at which time the Liverpool and Manchester Railway was merged into the Grand Junction; new building ceased, with the workshop closing in 1847.
An immediate problem was the frequency of broken crank axles on the inside-cylindered 2-2-2 locomotives from a range of manufacturers. The works produced a new design, either by Buddicom, or his foreman, Alexander Allan, with outside cylinders. The first three were probably rebuilds, "Aeolus", "Tartarus" and "Sunbeam". They became known as the "Old Crewe" type.
1841 Robert Trevithick, son of Richard Trevithick took over as Locomotive Superintendent. The space at Edge Hill limited further expansion. Moreover the GJR could only enter it over L&MR metals.
Accordingly, in 1843, the GJR decided to move its operations to Crewe, which was roughly halfway along the route. Shortly after this the works closed down, along with Longsight.