Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,344 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Coward (1831-1904) of Melland and Coward, Cotton Mills and Bleach Works, Heaton Mersey, near Manchester.
1904 Obituary 
EDWARD COWARD was born at Stand, Lancashire, on 23rd April 1831.
After being educated privately and at Owens College, he entered the works of Messrs. Melland and Coward, at Heaton Mersey and Manchester, spinners, weavers, dyers, bleachers, and finishers.
On the death of his father, he succeeded him in the partnership with Mr. Holland.
In local affairs he was the only chairman of the Heaton Norris Local Board, resigning his position on the conversion of the Local Board into a District Council.
For some years he was chairman of the Lancashire Insurance Co., until its absorption in the Royal Insurance Co., and was also chairman of the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron, and Coal Co. He was a director of the Great Northern Railway Co., and had charge of erecting the Manchester Goods Yard in Deansgate. This building has accommodation for over 400 wagons, and there is stabling for 130 horses.
His death took place at Eastbourne on 10th April 1904, in his seventy-third year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1875; and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1904 Obituary 
EDWARD COWARD of Hetheringlea, Bowdon, died on April 10, 1904, at Eastbourne, in his seventy-third year. He was one of the firm of Melland and Coward of Manchester. He was a director of the Bleachers' Association, Ltd., and of the Royal Insurance Company. At one time he was chairman of the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron, and Coal Company, Ltd., and a director of the Great Northern Railway and of the West Somerset Mineral Railways. He was for many years on the Board of the British Iron Trade Association, and was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and an associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1874.