Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Harlow (1879-1941)
1941 Obituary 
EDWARD HARLOW was born on the 21st July, 1879, and died on the 25th June, 1941.
He was educated at Balmoral House School and Northampton House School, Cheltenham, and received his engineering training as an articled pupil with Messrs. W. Sisson and Co., Gloucester, from 1895 to 1900.
In the latter year he joined the City of London Electric Lighting Co. as a shift engineer at their Bankside power station, becoming Boiler House Superintendent in 1906, Station Superintendent in 1909, and Generating Engineer in 1931.
In 1910, under the late Frank Bailey, he superintended the replacement of the original Brush and Willans reciprocating plant by Parsons turbines at the old frequency of 100c./s., and later - in 1922 - the introduction of 11 kV 3-phase plant at 50c./s. working at higher steam pressure.
He was exceptionally keen on thermal efficiency, and there is no doubt that the high efficiency of the station, with the plant under his charge, was mainly due to his efforts. During the Great War, on the formation of the Metropolitan Munitions Committee by the Ministry of Munitions, he was appointed District Manager to the District Committee of the East Central Area.
From 1915 to 1919 he threw himself wholeheartedly into this work, putting in very long hours in order to make his section a success. He also represented the City of London Electric Lighting Co. on the London Electric Supply Association for many years.
He was highly esteemed by the men working under him, and was always available for consultation and advice, which was greatly appreciated. He was keenly interested in all their activities, and would never miss an outing or social function promoted by the Works Committee. He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1910, and was transferred to full Membership in 1913. A. G. K.