Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Steer (1851-1927)
1877 Married Augusta Pemberton; they had 5 children
1885 Laid out the new Rogerstone works of Nettlefolds
1927 Died at home in Monmouthshire
1927 Obituary 
EDWARD STEER, Hon. Vice-President, died at his residence, "The Woodlands," Malpas, Newport, Monmouthshire, on October 29, 1927, at the age of seventy-six.
He was born in London in 1851, and was the second son of the late Charles Steer and Martha Nettlefold, a first-cousin of the late Joseph Chamberlain. He was educated at Brighton, and at the age of seventeen he joined his uncle, Joseph Nettlefold, in the firm of Nettlefold and Chamberlain. When Mr. Joseph Chamberlain retired the firm became known as Nettlefolds, Ltd., and under the supervision of Mr. Steer the Rogerstone Steel and Wire Works were laid out in 1885.
In 1886 he went to reside at Malpas, and was appointed managing director of the Rogerstone Steelworks. When Nettlefolds, Ltd., were amalgamated with Guest, Keen & Co., he joined the Board of Directors, of which he became chairman in 1920. He continued to serve in that capacity until last May, when, through ill-health, he resigned, and was succeeded by Lord Buckland of Bwlch.
He was also chairman of the Meiros Colliery Co., and was associated with T. Spittle, Ltd., Pipe Founders and Engineers, Newport; Partridge Jones and John Payton, Ltd., Colliery Proprietors and Steel and Tinplate Manufacturers; John Lysaght, Ltd.; and the Cordes Dos Nail Works, Newport.
For a number of years he was director of the Alexandra Docks and Railway Co., Newport, and only severed his connection when the company became absorbed by the Great Western Railway Co. He was a recognised authority on the iron and steel trade, and his whole life was spent in its service. He was for many years a member of the Monmouth County Council.
He took little part in public life, but was appointed a Justice of the Peace for Monmouthshire in 1887. In 1909 he served as High Sheriff, and was appointed Deputy-Lieutenant for Monmouthshire in 1917. During the war he was associated with recruiting, charitable, and other movements, and was chairman of the National Shell Factory at Maesglas. He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1873, Member of Council in 1910, and Vice- President in 1917. For his great services to the Institute he was elected an Hon. Vice-President in 1924. In 1920, when the Institute visited Cardiff, he served on the Executive Committee formed to receive the members, and it was in part due to the unsparing pains taken by him that the meeting was such a great success.