Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Liverpool Road, Warrington
1936 Louis Sylvio Armandias came to England with a licence from Messier in France to produce their equipment in the UK.
1937 Private company established - Messier Aviation Engineering Co
1938 Production of aircraft undercarriages and hydraulic equipment started
1939 Rubery, Owen and Co became associated with the company.
WWII Manufactured parts for the De Havilland Mosquito
1942 Armandias parted company with Rubery Owen Messier
By 1943 Rubery Owen had acquired substantially all of the shares.
1946 Messier Aircraft Equipment Ltd was a member of the Rubery-Owen group of companies; it designed and manufactured hydraulic and electro-hydraulic equipment for aircraft and industrial applications, including the Conveyancer fork lift truck. Messier Aircraft Equipment became Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd
1946 November: renamed Electro-Hydraulics Ltd
1953 Rubery Owen gained full control; the company was a wholly owned subsidiary of Rubery Owen.
1959 Part of the Rubery, Owen group
1960 Electrically-operated valves.
1961 Aircraft and industrial hydraulic engineers, specialising in components and accessories for the aircraft industry. Manufacturers of Conveyancer fork lift trucks and material handling equipment. 1,750 employees.
1961 Rights to manufacture in the UK the narrow-reach equipment of the Raymond Corp. of USA; new subsidiary established Conveyancer-Raymond which was 70 percent owned by Electro-Hydraulics.
1961 Agents for the Shorland forklift trucks made by Short Brothers and Harland
1964 Incorporated as a public company. Sale to the public of 40 percent of the shares.
1971 Withdrew from aircraft components activities
1974 January: Rubery Owen established a new company Rubery Owen Conveyancer. The name Electro-Hydraulics seems to have been discontinued about this time.
1977 Coventry Climax acquired the Thornton Rd, Warrington, and Kirkby, Liverpool, parts of the forklift truck business of Rubery Owen Conveyancer. The plants at Liverpool Road, Warrington, at Prees, and at Kings Hill, Darlaston, were not included in the sale