Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Cledford Bridge, Middlewich, Cheshire
1899, the Electrolytic Alkali Co was established in Middlewich. They obtained patents for the manufacture of alkali, chlorine bleaching powder and similar products.
A large factory was built at Cledford Bridge, near Middlewich.
1913 The company went into liquidation.
1914 Thomas William Stanier Hutchings reformed the company under the name of Electro Bleach and By-Products Ltd, taking over the works of the Electrolytic Alkali Co. Ltd., and reconstructing them.
1915 Installation of 1250 kW turbine-generator to supply current for a Hargreaves-Bird cell for the decomposition of brine to produce chlorine gas and carbonate of soda liquor. Turbine made by James Howden and Co, dynamo by Mather and Platt, condensing plant by Rees Roturbo Manufacturing Co. Turbine speed 3000 rpm reduced to 250 rpm for the dynamo by a Power Plant Co double helical reduction gear. See photos. 
1917-18 Nationalised by the Ministry of Munitions, becoming one of three factories producing phosgene gas.
1920 Bought by Brunner, Mond and Co.
1928 Works closed.
1936 John Steventon & Sons took over, the site being renamed The Royal Venton Works.
Sanitary ware was manufactured, and in the 1960s Ideal-Standard took over the company. The factory closed in 2013.