Ellis and Everard
of 10 East Street, Leicester
1868 Supplied granite used for testing drills at the Royal Agricultural Show
1869 Developed a new method of transporting stone from its quarry, which used an overhead wire carried on poles (presumably like a telpher)
1890 The company was registered on 20 June, to acquire a business of coal and coke merchants. 
1963 Public company: successful sale of shares on the Birmingham exchange Coal, agricultural and builders merchants.
By 1981 had become an industrial chemicals distributor; acquired a fine chemicals operation which became a division of the company
Acquired Apperson Chemicals of USA. Also owned Prillaman, which focussed on solvents and petrochemicals.
1987 Acquired Cargo Fleet Chemicals, distributor of de-icers and anti-freeze.
By 1993 had moved to Bradford
2000 Acquired by Dutch logistics and distribution group Vopak in a deal valuing the company at £310 million.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1868/07/24
- The Times Feb 24, 1869
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Times Dec 07, 1963
- The Times Sep 30, 1965
- The Times, Nov 05, 1968
- The Times, Feb 16, 1971
- The Times, Apr 23, 1980
- The Times, Jul 28, 1981
- The Times January 13, 1987
- The Independent 10 November 2000