Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,111 pages of information and 233,643 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1954 Bio Note 
Mr. F. H. Clayton (Member), the newly-elected Chairman of the North Western A.D. Centre, has been acting Chairman of that Centre since last October. He was educated at Balshaws Grammar School, Leyland, and served his apprenticeship at Leyland Motors, Ltd. He was awarded a Student Engineering Scholarship and studied at Preston Technical College, where he was awarded a National Certificate prize of the Institution by obtaining nine distinctions out of a possible fifteen during the Senior and Higher National Certificate Course.
He became a Graduate of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1932, and was a member of the original Committee of the North Western Graduates.
After his apprenticeship, he was employed in the research department and drawing office of Leyland Motors, Ltd., and in 1938 went to the London Passenger Transport Board, as a technical assistant on engines and electrical equipment, becoming technical engineer, 'buses and coaches.
In 1945 he left the Board as technical engineer, buses and coaches, to become chief engineer with East Midland Motor Services, Ltd., Chesterfield.
In 1947 he was appointed chief engineer of the North-Western Road Car Co., Ltd., Stockport.
Mr. Clayton was appointed to his present post of deputy general manager, Liverpool Corporation Passenger Transport Department in 1949.